About Us – History

From the Foreword to Highlights and Shadows

Beulah Baptist Church 1812-1962

“We live in the present, we dream of the future, and we learn eternal truths from the past.”

1812 – There were only about ten men in the small group that met on September 26, 1812 at Beulah Meeting House to discuss and establish the much-needed church. They were former members of Upper College Church and originally had followed the faith of their fathers – the established Church of England, their native land. The meeting on the 26th was sponsored by Upper College Church, whose pastor, Elder John Courtney, served as a member of the presbytery that constituted the new church and gave it the name, “Beulah.” These men were led by Robert B. Semple. After its establishment, Semple pastored the church for its first four years. Upper College Church was bought many years later by the trustees of Sharon Baptist Church for the erection of their present building located near Central Garage.
Services were conducted here from 1812 to 1846. The present church building was erected on the same location in 1846. The Meeting House was sold and money used in the cost of the new building. It was bought by Dr. William Gwathmey and reconstructed at this home “Burlington,” where it continues to be used as a barn.

1846 – The current basic structure was built. 

1861-1865 – Beulah Church’s program of Christian work continued unabated through the years of the Civil War. There were churches that during this trying period discontinued their regular schedule of worship and meetings, but not Beulah Church! Documented in church records, it is amazing the number of activities that the church seemed to regard as her obligation regardless of the country being involved in war.

1910 – The portico was added.

The portico was erected in memory of Miss Mary Parke Burnley by her sister, Mrs. Jack Temple.  

1954 and 1984. In keeping with the commitment of reaching people with the Word of God, Sunday School additions were made in 1954 and again in 1984. 


Acquire a copy of Beulah Baptist Church King William County, Virginia Highlights and Shadows 1988-2012 to explore more aspects about Beulah Baptistand its ministry during the last 25 years.



2012 – Addition of two-level Vestibule. On Easter Sunday, April 8, 2012, immediately following worship, a ground breaking service led the way for adding a vestibule with restrooms and coat closets on the first floor, an all purpose room and restroom on the second floor, and an extended church portico. Construction was begun the next day. A Litany of Dedication was held on October 27, 2012; however, since the addition was completed, the new section was opened in time for worship during Beulah's 200th Anniversary celebration on September 30, 2012.

The community to which Beulah Baptist Church ministers has changed quite a bit over the years. The one constant is our vision and mission to reach people for Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior so they may know His personal love, salvation and have eternal and abundant life in His name.